Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Career Driven – Being strategic in the workplace.


Career Driven – Being called aggressive in the workplace. Is it because I am a woman?

I am a Sr. Business Analyst for a software company. Although this is not the path my career started on, this is where I ended up. When I started working for my company, I didn’t intend to continue in the software industry. Growing up, I aspired to become an obstetrician. When I entered college I didn’t have the focus for the amount of studying that was required.

In my current field, the perception is that I am aggressive when it comes to business and at times that can intimidate others or prevent others from working with you. By the way, I have only heard this from my male collogues. When it comes to business I am very direct, precise and analytical with all projects.

At times, I like to take the lead on projects and set up the appropriate direction for the project based on client expectations and the business needs.  But, I don’t believe this makes me aggressive, I think it makes me competent. I have always had an ambitious and optimistic outlook on life. With that comes a lot of passion for anything I put my all into.

I was introduced to a book a few months ago that I thought was one of the best autobiographies I have ever read, it called “LEAN IN” (Sandberg, 2013)



 

 

 It made me understand why women are perceived differently in the workplace and that I wasn’t the only one with this experience.

After reading the first few chapters, I was inspired and exhausted all at the same time.

It inspired me to learn even more about software development. My new goal is to go into either software engineering or software project management. After reading the book I felt more determined to pursue this path and I believed that I could do it.

Although I know I will do all that I can to reach this goal, I do know how much of a challenge this will become.

Here comes the feeling of exhaustion.

As a woman it’s not easy, although I have an extremely supportive husband, his career is just as demanding mine. We have two beautiful girls and both work 40 to 60 hours a week. In addition to maintain a balance in life with family, friends and each other now I have to go back to school to pursue my new goal.

Just recently, started looking into various women organization that provides the support, networking and mentoring that I believe I need as well as all women example: http://leanin.org/  (Lean In, 2014).  It’s important for women to come together to support each other in there endeavors whether it’s being a career mom, in the workplace or being a stay at home mom. In life, I have only maintained very  few female friendships and I have always asked myself why that is, I believe I know…but I will save that for another post.  

I have never felt a sense of support or mentorship from other women. It is definitely something that needs to change, and I know the change has to start with me. I might not be able to impact other women, but I can mentor and support those who need it or welcome the advice.

 In the corporate world, I have learned a lot about the business and how things work which has led to my success. Sadly, all those who have mentored to my level have been men.  They saw my potential and believed that I could progress beyond what I imagined.

I started mentoring my little girls since they were toddlers my youngest is 2 ‘she’s a diva’.

I have instilled in my girls that they can do anything they put they mind to and never settle for less.

I will post any other women organizations I find to my blog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment